Penniless Socialite: Friday's Fancies: Off to the Races

Friday, May 4, 2012

Friday's Fancies: Off to the Races

Check bank later today for my Weekend Sale Roundup post.  The Beauty Deals post won't run on Sunday because it's my b-day and I'm taking a blog-break this weekend.

Obviously, this weekend is HUGE.  The Derby, Cinco de Mayo and my birthday.  There's no outfit post today because I'm already on my birthday weekend break.  I will be going to work today, but only to feast on my birthday cake.  I request a coffee cake so that it's appropriate to have cake before 11am.  Also, it's been raining all week and I haven't put on real shoes in awhile.  So, you'll have to settle for my fake outfit in honor of this week's Friday's Fancies theme: Decked Out for the Derby.
I love this theme, not because I know any thing about horse racing or am cultured enough to ever have a place at a horse race, but because I love floral dresses and floppy hats.  I love the the girliness of the floral dress and the sun protection that the floppy hat offers.  Have you seen me?  I get sun burned checking the mail.    

My weekend will not be spent classing it up at a Derby party, even though my grandparents are avid horse betters.  The Derby is a holiday for my grandparents, Italian immigrants to the Northeast.  I can't explain it.  I just let them have their fun.  My sister also loves betting on her ponies.  This was not a trait that was passed down to me.  When I think of horse racing, I think of wine in lavish tents with rich ladies who "do lunch" wearing flowered hats and brooches.  Here in New Jersey, it's an off track betting location filled with ladies scooting around on their jazzies drinking a forty stuffed into a paper bag.  When my family forces me to go place a bet I just go to the counter and tell whatever empty vessel of a human being that's behind the desk to place a "trifecta box, 5, 6 and 8."  It's the only betting term I know and can be bothered to remember.  Also, inside of the off track betting building my brain shuts off all non-essential functions in the hopes that I won't retain a memory of that place.
This weekend, I will be much classier....I'm going to sit on the couch all day, watch 90's movies like "Reality Bites" and drink beer.  I'll go out to dinner or something with friends at night and maybe make it into the city with the Scot for a nice lunch on Sunday.  It's MY DAY, I'll do what I want.  Well, actually, I'm claiming this whole weekend as mine.  And the weekend can finally begin now that I've received my annual birthday check from my grandmother.
29 whole dollars.  Yeah you get your age in money.  AND if you marry into this family, you get one too.  Men, just start lining up.  The Scot has already asked if we can tell my grandmother that he's 72.  But seriously, I love that silly old broad.  When I was a kid I told my grandmother, "I hope you live until I'm 100."  She replied, "Me too."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...