Penniless Socialite: On a Budget: Pipley Vintage

Friday, January 18, 2013

On a Budget: Pipley Vintage


I love vintage clothes.  You'd probably never really guess that because I don't have many vintage-feeling items.  Why?  Because I don't know where to find them or I can't afford them.  That's where a neat little online shop called Pipley Vintage comes in.  The shop owner, Carol finds all those great vintage and vintage inspired items and doesn't even try to take all your money!!  Almost everything in the shop is under $100.  Carole is a sweet, stylish, super mom and she's here to answer all my questions.


That's Carole.  Isn't she adorable?  Dress here
  
Q.     What style of clothing will people find at Pipley Vintage?
A.     At my store you will find an interesting mix of new and old clothing.  I love mixing older pieces with new pieces, and that is how I have set up my store.  There is something for everyone, including very feminine pieces, with our skirts and flowing dresses. To a more sexy look with our mini dresses.  Also comfortable everyday clothing with our denim and adorable collection of tops.  We have handmade unique jewelry as well that a friend of mine makes.




Q.     What inspired you to start Pipley Vintage?

A.      I have always loved fashion, especially older fashion.  Once I became a mom it was harder for me to find clothing I felt comfortable and age appropriate in.  I became so frustrated that I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I wanted to do something i loved, but still be able to stay home with my girls.  My husband Greg is a CPA and said he would take care of the financial side for me, and with that we started working on opening the store.  I wanted to incorporate my girls into it somehow, so i took both their names Finley and Pippa, and combined them together for PipLey.  I get so excited knowing that my clothing can fit anyone from a teenager all the way to my 56 year old mother.  

Q.     Do you have any advice for ladies thinking of starting their own small business?

A.     The most important advice would be RESEARCH!!  I had no idea what I was doing to start with, and I researched a lot on clothing, the market, the target audience, and trying to stay true to myself.  I will not purchase anything for the store that I personally would not wear. I want it to reflect myself, and I think the customers will get to know who I am through the type of clothing we have.  I will also say patience, I am not a patient person and keep forgetting that it takes time to grow a business and an audience.  
Q.     Where do you find your awesome vintage items?

A.     I actually got a lot of my vintage items from a sweet little cashier at our local TJ Maxx.  I was still toying with the idea of the store, and I bought a pair of platforms that had a 70's vibe to them.  She was ringing me up and we got on the topic about my love of vintage, and she was just starting to de-clutter her home and didn't have anyone to give her clothes to.  I told her I would take them, and I could not believe the amazing items she had given me. I have amazing dresses from the 1920's and 30's that her mother wore.  I also find some at a great local store that is now closed.  I have picked up little pieces here and there throughout the years! 

Q.     What about you?  What are your hobbies?  What are you doing when you're not managing Pipley Vintage?

A.     I am 29 year old mom of two with a B.S in psychology.  I use to work with autistic children as a behavioral therapist, but when I had my kids I felt the need to stay home with them.  I am very busy with the company and taking care of my girls who are 4 and 18 months.  I don't have much time for anything else.  I love genealogy, and of course shopping vintage and shoes!!  

Q.     Who are your style icons?

A.     I have many style icons.  I love looking at older photos of my grandmother who turns 93 today!  I also love looking at old photos of Jean Harlow and Marilyn Monroe. I like to take a little inspiration from all of them and create my own look!


liverpool jeans

Q.     What's your favorite piece in the shop right now?

A.     That is a tough one!  My favorite pants are our Liverpool jeans, they are so amazing and hold there fit the whole day!  My favorite dress is our Bohemian Love dress.  I get so many compliments when I wear it.  My favorite top is our new Dream Catcher top.  I wear all of our clothes and love them all.  I feel it is important for me to try all of our clothes on to let our customers know how they fit.  

So, check out PIPLEY VINTAGE!!! And save 10% with code "readers"

And what's Penniless Socialite's favorite item in the shop?  Well, besides the polka dot Secret Admirer To I already pictured...I am a sucker for polka dots.  (First time I've referred to myself in the third person by my blog name...weird)










Linking up with: Aloha Friday Blog HopFollow Friend FridayFashion Friday and Life in a Breakdown
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...