Penniless Socialite: Inspired by Pinterest: Christmas Crafts and Hot Glue Burns

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Inspired by Pinterest: Christmas Crafts and Hot Glue Burns

I was inspired after seeing about a dozen different pins on pinterest about ornament wreaths.  Here's one example.  I figured, how hard can it be?  I can totally hot glue a bunch of ornaments to a foam wreath.  And one hour and 10 hot glue singed fingers later, I had a gorgeous wreath.  Here's how I did it.



1. Collect as many ornaments as you can find in varying sizes.  I went to the Christmas Tree Shop, dollar store and the craft store.  I removed all the metal hangers from my ornaments, but you can leave them on if you want them to be part of your design.  

2. I started with a foam wreath from the craft store (find in the floral section).  I forgot a step, which I recommend including.  Wrap your foam wreath in tinsel garland or pretty colored ribbon because you will be able to see the wreath through the piles of ornaments.  

3. I then hot glued the biggest ornaments in an even pattern around the outside and then glued the medium sized ornaments on the inside (see figure 1).  I crammed the round tip of the ornament a little bit into the foam.

4. I then just went crazy gluing ornaments all over the wreath until I would up with figure 3.  Not all of the ornaments actually touch the foam wreath.

I could not believe I completed a Christmas craft with almost no casualties.  On a side note, I am free to commit as many crimes as I want because the hot glue burns I sustained burned off my fingerprints.  

And then it all came crashing down....literally.  A few days after completing the wreath, the hook on which it hung SNAPPED IN HALF and the wreath came crashing down to the floor.  And I should mention that this happened in the middle of the night, so I was sweeping up broken glass ornaments at about 2 am...while the cats attempted to play in the shards.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...