Penniless Socialite: Stuff I Wore: Stripes n' Sneaks

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Stuff I Wore: Stripes n' Sneaks

Dress // French Connection (worn here, similar here); Shoes // Target (worn here, similar here); Bangles // Target and Forever 21 (worn here); Necklace // J. Crew Factory (worn here, similar here)

Hat // Target
If you're wondering, yes I did switch out the hat.
Love Rings // JewelMint (similar here)
I was shopping in a small boutique in the mall a few weeks ago and I saw a pre-teen girl shopping with her two dads...her two ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS dads.  The daughter was moping around the store in her Umbro soccer shorts and Adidas Sambas while her dads threw countless pink sparkly items at her.  She says to one of her dads, "Dad, I don't want any of these things."  Her dad replies, "Honey, you have to start dressing sassier!!"  She replies, "Daaaad, I don't want to look sassy.  I just want to look like everyone else."  
This girl is the voice of a generation.  She just put her finger on how every single girl between the ages of 12 and 18 feels.  
I think I can speak for most women out there.  We spent the better part of our teenage lives just trying to fit in.  I remember that there were days when I would purposefully wear the same exact outfit as several of my friends. I think around 18 or 19 I stopped being a Stepford teen.  Now, I'm like a male peacock doing a mating dance wearing the brightest colors and patterns I can find.  I've come so far, yet I know exactly how that little girl in the mall feels.  I just wanted to tap one of the dads on the shoulder and say, "Just take her to Sports Authority and let her buy a t-shirt.  She'll discover fashion in a few years."
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...